Saturday, November 7, 2009

October Happenings


October was a busy month. With school, soccer, sunday school, Halloween and just random other stuff it feels like we never sat down.

SICKOS:

I spent lots of time this month figuring out make-up work for all the sick kiddos in my classes. Strep and the flu were running rampant. I was lucky enough to catch the flu! I was confined to the bedroom for 4 days. Fortunately, I had a very mild case so I was never too bad - just couldn't get rid of the fever. I am knocking on wood as I say this b/c now that it is written it is inevitable to happen but I am soooo surprised that Shea and Mattie have not gotten the flu. Mattie has had several people at day care with it and so has Shea. Mr. Shea did have a sinus infection but for once we did not have to go on steroids for the horrible cough! Yeah - that daily asthma medicine is working!
SOCCER:
Shea has been playing soccer. He is the littlest one on the team as he was put on an older team. 4 year olds are not very good at soccer. By the last game of the season we finally had a few things figured out. Shea took a very hard penalty kick to the chest but handled it like a pro - after some crying and kisses of course. I think Dad took it the hardest.
HALLOWEEN:
We made it through this halloween with only 1 costume for Shea (last year we had 3 or 4). He went as Wesley the pirate from the movie "Princess Bride." I think he was the only 4 year old dressed like this! Mattie went as Tinkerbell. She picked the Pink Poodle costume 1st but it wasn't in her size. I was going to go to another store but then wised up and realized she is only 1 and is not going to remember so what did it matter if she wasn't what she picked out. Tinkerbell was in her size so we went as Tinkerbell. Yeah for Mom for this moment of clarity! We had lots of fun with all of our festivities with friends. We hung out with Kaci Rae at the Y, hung out with friends in the neighborhood, then trick-or-treating with other friends. We had lots of fun and both kids got lots of candy - the good stuff!



KITCHEN:

You don't even want to get me started. No - it is still not finished. Almost. We have all the major stuff just need painting finished, handles and knobs, and the backsplash. It looks really nice but I am sorry we even started this project. I think the funniest thing that happened was when we put in the new refrigerator. Shea looked at it and said, "Helllllllllooooooo georgeous!" I was practically on the floor I was laughing so hard. He learned this from Alvin & the Chipmunks.

OTHER:

Shea is doing great at school. He is writing so well and can count really high and even subtracted for Devin - about the number of green beans he still had left to eat. He and Chris went to the Speedway to watch a race. Shea said it was too loud. His is quite crafty in how he gets things he can't reach. For instance, he uses his ever present sword to turn on lights. One day I got mad at Chris for leaving the pool gate open which he apparently didn't do. Then Shea let us know - very proud of himself- that he opened the gate. He figured out that if he turns the toy bucket upside down he can reach the lock to the pool gate and get to his toys outside. Needless to say that gate is locked with the key and the key is hidden.


Mattie is crazy. Her favorite word is "NO" and she is not afraid to let you know that she is not pleased. She can now say mama, dada, bubba, no, and stop. She will scream bloody murder until she gets what she is looking for and then laughs with a maniacal little laugh - Dr. Jeckel and Miss Hyde! Her hair is so curly - just love it. I was finally able to get it into pigtails with out her yelling at me. She also now has tons of teeth which she uses to bite everyone when they don't get out of her way. Yes-sir-ee she is quite a handful but she is very funny and like to make people laugh and she gives the best hugs - complete with little pats on the back.


No comments:

background